Dienstag, 2. Dezember 2008

German Culture

Studying German Culture has made me realize that Germany is in fact quite a diverse country. Before taking German, I had a fairly stereotypical picture of the average German, probably akin to German characters I had seen in movies. I now understand that there are many differences among German people, especially depending on the area of Germany in which they live.

I also have learned that in many ways Germans are quite similar to Americans. They have fairly similar daily lives and have a lot of the same interests as Americans do. At the same time, it's been interesting to explore the differences in the two cultures, particularly the way that Germans approach people that they do not know. Knowing of these differences, I think I would be more welcoming and open-minded when meeting German people in the U.S. Whereas before I might have thought a German person who I did not know was cold or rude, I would now understand that a lack of friendliness might simply be a cultural difference.

Keine Kommentare: