Dienstag, 2. Dezember 2008

Zu guter letzt

Studying German this year has helped me to appreciate more of my heritage. My uncle traced back our German roots so that he and his family could live there. Since we visited Germany for a family reunion, I have been interested in learning the language. German 102 has broadened my German base by giving me cultural application as well as a knowledge of the language. The heritage I have from Germany kind of explains how my family is sometimes a little more blunt than American families. My parents tend to be less politically correct and more say it like it is. German culture is similar to that. As an individual that plans on being an international citizen, I find parts of me that can relate to both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. Being raised as an immigrant to America, I how important it is to be understanding of both your culture as well as the cultures of others. A lot of times, Germans and Americans have stereotypes of each other that are not conducive to understanding. Obviously these stereotypes are based on some truth, but taken as the extreme, or taken without first getting to know the person, these stereotypes hinder cohesive cooperation. Hopefully I will be more understanding of other cultures.

Keine Kommentare: